00:05:00 TO PREP
00:10:00 TO COOK
- 450 ml hot Earl Grey tea
- 300g mixed dried fruit
- 90 g brown sugar
- 1 lemon, zested
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 large egg
- Rich bake toast bread
- Place the dried fruit in a bowl, pour over the hot tea, cover with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 10 x 25cm loaf pan
- Strain the fruit, reserving the liquid, then combine with remaining ingredients.
- Gradually add the reserved liquid, stirring until a soft dropping consistency is reached. Pour into the pan and bake for 45-50 minutes
- Meanwhile, make a sugar syrup: place 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water in a pan over low heat and stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Brush the fruit loaf with syrup while still warm
- Set aside on a wire rack to cool, then slice and serve with butter